9.15.2010

designer highlight :: Give A Shirt


Who :: Give a Shirt, founded by Whitney Ferrin [When she was a high school senior! Yeah. Seriously.]

From :: Salem, OR

Why I love :: The cause is unbelievable. When Whitney learned that there were 900 homeless students in the Salem-Keizer school district, she wanted to help. There were already programs that assisted with meals and transportation. She thought a lot harder than that. She thought like a fellow high school kid.
Clothes can be a big deal. Most homeless students don't have more than the clothes on their back--they wear the same thing and don't have the privilege of laundry days. Whitney found out that a lot of these homeless students would skip school to avoid the teasing around these issues. With a business plan similar to that of TOMS, Whitney came up with Give a Shirt. Buy a cool shirt for $15, and $10 goes toward providing clothing to the homeless students of her community.
What is NOT to love about that?!

Favorite piece of the moment :: They don't have a ton of choices yet, but I plan on collecting them all. My favorite in my closet right now is the American Apparel deep v-neck--I have to restrain myself from wearing it almost every day. I love it when people ask me what my shirt means, and I just love how comfy it is :] **update: the blue and pink shirts in the photo above, plus a bright blue men's shirt will be available THIS Sunday 9/19/10 at 2pm**

Where to go [clickable] :: website and online store

One more thing... Fridays are wear your Give A Shirt days! If you have one or buy one, I'd love to see your Give a Shirt photos :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails